Friday, November 30, 2012

Banh Uot ("Wet" Rice Noodle Sheets)

Banh Uot ("Wet" Rice Noodle Sheets)

Bánh ướt (literally "wet cakes"), is a Vietnamese thin pancake wrapper[1] consisting of rice noodle sheets, eaten with nước chấm, fried shallots, and a side of chả lụa (Vietnamese pork sausage). This entrée is served in all Vietnamese restaurants all around the Earth.

 Vietnamese Rice Flour Rolls: Banh Uot and Banh Cuon

A couple years ago when I put together my guide of Vietnamese Banh (linked below), I was confused about the difference between Banh Uot (opaque rice flour rolls), and Banh Cuon (translucent rice flour rolls) especially because there is also Banh Uot Thanh Tri and Banh Cuon Thanh Tri (rice flour sheets). Carb Lover's post about the chain Banh Cuon Tay Ho got me wondering about the differences again.

Photos of these 3 banh are below. I think I’ve figured out the differences, but I may be wrong so anyone with more knowledge than me, please chime in.

Here’s my take:
To start with Banh Uot translates to Wet Banh. Banh Cuon translates to Rolled Banh. And Thanh Tri translates to something like Threads or Strings. All three are made of water and finely ground rice flour, and that’s where the similarities end. Here’s what I think are the differences:

First, the wrapper: The wrapper for Banh Uot is a thicker version of the wrapper for Banh Cuon, and they have different fillings, and Thanh Tri is basically just the non-rolled, non-filled wrappers.

I’m guessing the wrapper for Banh Uot is made by pouring the batter into an oiled pan, filling the pan bottom completely, whereas the wrapper for Banh Cuon is made by pouring the batter over a piece of cloth that is stretched tight across a steamer, so the end product is a translucent and ultra-thin. You can make banh cuon wrappers with a nonstick pan, but you have to pour the batter as thin as possible, and even then the texture won’t be 100% right. And if you pour it too thickly or if the wrapper doesn’t come out right, you gather the bad ones into a pile, and you have Banh Uot Thanh Tri or Banh Cuon Thanh Tri! Now I’m really guessing.

Then the filling: Banh Uot is usually filled with marinated grilled pork (thit nuong) and (sometimes) Chinese lapseung sausage, and green leaf lettuce. Banh Cuon is usually filled with ground pork and thinly sliced cloud ear fungus.

Then the dipping sauce: Dark brown peanut dipping sauce for Banh Uot, and fish-sauce-based nuoc cham for Banh Cuon. Then there are the accompaniments: none for banh uot, and many possibilities for banh cuon, including banh cong which is another banh I need to add to my banh guide.

Okay. I think that’s it. If this is correct, I can update my Banh Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment